[erlang-questions] Why is Erlang what it is?

t ty tty.erlang@REDACTED
Thu Dec 14 23:08:13 CET 2006

My intro to FP was via Haskell and prior to that I used Eiffel. I'm a
fan of static typing however I haven't seen empirical evidence
supporting the statement that static typing reduces testing. To be
fair Dominic did say *might*.

You also bring up a good point. If the compiler, to paraphrase Ulf,
goes medieval with your code until you conform aren't you just
replacing testing effort with coding effort ?

Furthur more the purpose of testing is to find defects not to prove
they do not exists. i.e. the amount of testing should not decrease,
after all your static checking typed inferred compiler might have
typing bugs too :)