[erlang-questions] edoc questions

Håkan Stenholm hokan.stenholm@REDACTED
Mon Dec 4 21:07:10 CET 2006

Fredrik Thulin wrote:

> [...]
>%%            Branch   = string()
>%%            Timeout  = integer()
>%%            ReportTo = pid() | none
>%%            Parent   = pid()
>%%
>%% @doc     Initiates a client transaction handler. Set us up for an
>%%          immediate timeout signal in which we will try to send out
>%%          our request - to not block caller.
>%% @end
>%%--------------------------------------------------------------------
>init([Request, Dst, Branch, Timeout, ReportTo, Parent]) ->
>
>And this is the error message I get from edoc :
>
>./new_clienttransaction.erl, function init/1: at line 131: syntax error
>before: ','
>edoc: skipping source file './new_clienttransaction.erl': {'EXIT',error}.
>edoc: error in doclet 'edoc_doclet': {'EXIT',error}.
>{"init terminating in do_boot",error}

>Line 131 is the @spec line. Using edoc from R11B-2.
>

>>You can look at the edoc source code for more usage examples.
>>

>I have, and yikes - what is all that HTML making it so hard to read the
>documentation in emacs? ;)
>

>>>  * functions that you provide more than one way of invoking (with more
>>>    or less data provided by the user), for example
>>>
>>>       do_stuff(In) ->
>>>         Timeout = 5000,
>>>         do_stuff(In, Timeout).
>>>       do_stuff(In, Timeout) ->
>>>
>>>    did not seem to be possible to document without a lot of redundant
>>>    information.
>>>
>>The easiest is to use @equiv. Write the full documentation for
>>do_stuff/2, and for do_stuff/1, specify @equiv do_stuff(In, 5000).
>>This covers 99% of typical uses of multiple arities; for special
>>cases, write some text that describes precisely what happens.
>>

>Fair enough.
>

>>I decided to strictly separate functions with different arities in
>>edoc, because I had already seen too many cases of documentation
>>where people had written something like this:
>>
>>   f(X)
>>   f(X, Y)
>>   f(X, Y, Z)
>>   f(W, X, Y, Z)
>>   where
>>       X = a | b | c
>>       Y = {foo, ...} | {bar, ...}
>>       Z = pid() | atom() | string()
>>       W = [binary()] | binary()
>>   Returns:
>>       Something | SomethingElse | OtherThings | VariousStuff
>>
>>   Bla bla bla bla bla...
>>
>>and then totally failed to describe precisely which combinations of
>>arguments were legal and which were not, and which return values (and
>>possible errors) would result from which argument combinations.
>>
>>Documenting them as if they were a single function is the sort of
>>thing that looks like a good idea for small examples, but can get
>>completely out of hand very quickly. Separate documentation is a
>>small price to pay for the added clarity. (It also forces you to
>>think for a moment about what the different versions actually do.)

This is one of the things that actualy bothers me about edoc as I
occasionally end up with code like:

get_x(....) ->
get_y(....) ->
get_z(....) ->

where it would be nice to a have common comment like:

%% ------------------------------------------------------
%% @spec  get_xx(....) -> ....
%% @doc   each get_xx/N retrieves the field xx from ...
%% @end--------------------------------------------------

instead of:

%% ------------------------------------------------------
%% get_xx(....) -> ....
%% each get_xx/N retrieves the field xx from ...
%% ------------------------------------------------------

which works as documentation but kind of breaks the html
generation.

Or as in your example, which could be clarified as:

%% @spec f(X)          -> R    (default Y = ...)
%%       f(X, Y)       -> R    (default Z = ...)
%%       f(X, Y, Z)    -> R    (default W = ...)
%%       f(W, X, Y, Z) -> R
%% ....

assuming a f/1 -> f/2 -> f/3 -> f/4 call sequence