SNMP manager problem in handle_register_agent/4

karol skocik karol.skocik@REDACTED
Wed Apr 19 09:44:58 CEST 2006

Hi dear Erlangers!
  I am having an obscure problem with SNMP manager. I have developed a
SNMP agent application in Erlang couple months ago (my first Erlang
app!! hopefully not last :-), and now, at the time of integration and
internal testing, I am not able to make the manager running for
testing of the agent. I have tried many times a configuration changes
with snmp:config(), dumbing SNMP to v1 with no security (not really
usable for us, but to achieve a minimum functionality), and also I
have tried trapexit's howto, but no luck so far. I am quite puzzled,
since I think I didn't change anything in the process of
configuration, but since no other Erlang user is signalling problems
with the manager, it seems that the problem must be on my side.

When I start erl with config files for manager, and I do
application:start(snmp) I get immediately a very badly formated error
(because it was stringified), which after unstringing and some
indentation looks like this :

md@REDACTED ~/md_projects/snmp/manager $ ./run_manager
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.4.13 [source] [hipe]

Eshell V5.4.13  (abort with ^G)
(manager@REDACTED)1> application:start(snmp).

=ERROR REPORT==== 19-Apr-2006::09:10:55 ===
[snmpm_config] init exit: {{badmatch,{error,not_found}},
                           [{snmpm_config,handle_register_agent,4},
                            {snmpm_config,init_agent_config,1},
                            {snmpm_config,init_agents_config,1},
                            {snmpm_config,do_init,1},
                            {snmpm_config,init,1},
                            {gen_server,init_it,6},
                            {proc_lib,init_p,5}]}

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Apr-2006::09:10:55 ===
    application: snmp
    exited: invalid return value from snmp_app:start(normal,[]) ->
    {'EXIT',{{badmatch,{error,
			{shutdown,
			 {child,
			  undefined,
			  snmpm_supervisor,
			  {snmpm_supervisor,
			   start_link,[normal,
				       [{priority,normal},
					{versions,[v1]},
					{config,[{dir,"/home/md/md_projects/snmp/manager/conf/"},
						 {verbosity,silence},
						 {db_dir,"/home/md/md_projects/snmp/manager/db/"},
						 {repair,true},
						 {auto_save,5000}]},
					{inform_request_behaviour,auto},
					{mibs,[]},
					{server,
					 [{timeout,30000},
					  {verbosity,silence}]},
					{note_store,
					 [{timeout,30000},
					  {verbosity,silence}]},
					{net_if,
					 [{module,snmpm_net_if},
					  {verbosity,log},
					  {options,
					   [{bind_to,false},
					    {no_reuse,false}]}]},
					{def_user_mod,
					 snmpm_user_default},
					{def_user_data,
					 undefined}]]},
			  transient,2000,
			  supervisor,[snmpm_supervisor,supervisor]}}}},
	     [{snmp_app,start,2},{application_master,start_it_old,4}]}}
    type: temporary
      {error,"invalid return value from snmp_app:start(normal,[]) ->
{'EXIT',{{... the same error here stringified  "

I am running on :
md@REDACTED ~/md_projects $ uname -a
Linux saturn 2.6.14-gentoo-r4 #5 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 29 09:45:05 CET
2006 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.40GHz GenuineIntel
GNU/Linux

The config files (the paths must be changed) are in the attachment, I
hope somebody with the Erlang SNMP knowledge will take a look at that,
and tell the rookie what is the problem. (And help spreading Erlang in
our company & beyond ;-)

Thanks for your time,
  Karol Skocik