hipe segmentation fault

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Mon Apr 3 11:02:07 CEST 2006

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:40:14 -0400, Serge Aleynikov wrote:
>Any advice on what might be causing this seg fault?  The same test works
>fine on another machine with same OS & hardware.
>
>[serge@REDACTED:~/tmp]$ erl
>Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.4.13 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]
>
>Eshell V5.4.13  (abort with ^G)
>1> os:type().
>{unix,linux}
>2> os:version().
>{2,6,9}
>3> c(big, [native]).
>{ok,big}
>4> big:bang(600).
>Segmentation fault
>[serge@REDACTED:~/tmp]$ uname -a
>Linux drp01dev.corp.idt.net 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:30:39 EST
>2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>[serge@REDACTED:~/tmp]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
>Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)

If the other machine has identical HW and SW, then I'd
have to suspect the HW, like memory going bad, PSU too
weak or giving up, or inadequate cooling.

We could try to reproduce the error using your test case
(if you can share it), but since you say it works on another
identical machine, I'm not really suspecting a bug in HiPE
at this point.

/Mikael

p.s. That 2.6.9-5.EL kernel is way out of date.