BEA offers real-time version of WebLogic server

Massimo Cesaro massimo.cesaro@REDACTED
Fri Sep 30 17:18:24 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 19:13, Joel Reymont wrote:

> 2) I think Erlang is most suited for applications where high
> computational performance is not of essense. What's the right term,
> apps that are not CPU-bound? I wouldn't do a trading system in
> Erlang, for example.

Can't tell for trading systems, but we do DSP stuff (i.e. codec
implementation, audio conferencing, media streming, etc) in Erlang with
"near C" performance. The productivity gain of our programmers, and the
dramatically reduced time to pass from prototype to production code in
Erlang is unmatched by any other development environment we used in the
last 10 years of TLC development.
And this advantages, more than compensate the supposed lack of
performance compared with native C code; sometimes we found that
rethinking to algorithms with the Erlang point of view actually
outperformed plain vanilla C/C++ code.

Massimo