Meta-Erlang

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Fri Sep 30 12:11:33 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@REDACTED>
> I wrote:
>     > Programs are data.  My big complaint about older IDEs is that
>     > they encouraged people to think of programs as exclusively something
>     > human-written, when our best hope of reliable software is to write
as little of
>     > it as possible.
>
> "Vlad Dumitrescu XX (LN/EAB)" <vlad.xx.dumitrescu@REDACTED>
> challenged:
> Is it the IDEs that did that?

Oh, "challenged" is maybe a too strong word :-)

> I still remember someone from Xerox insisting fervently that
> "A program is not a listing!"  The Smalltalk and Interlisp-D
> environments were based on the idea that a program is a database
> and that it is a database which programs may populate and
> manipulate.

Okay, now I understand what you refer to.

I think there are pros and cons to both approaches. Meta-programming feels
like trying to capitalize on the advantages of both, so it works to
integrate it in some regular language I say, why not?

best regards,
Vlad