Max number of open file descriptors is too low

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Tue Sep 27 15:46:26 CEST 2005

Folks,

Erlang hardcodes the maximum number of open file descriptors and I
think the default number is too low. At least on Windows it is.

Look for max_files in erts/emulator/{unix,win32}/sys.c. On Unix it
hardcodes FD_SETSIZE so I changed the system header files to up that
from 1024 to 10240.

On Windows the maximum number of handles per process can be set
pretty high apparently but it's fixed by Erlang at 1024, period. This
is quite important as it prevents you from building a socket server
that handles more than 1024 connections under Windows.

Would the Erlang/OTP consider upping the number of descriptors on
Windows to something like 1024*8 or 1024*10?

     Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/