bug in inets or erlang!

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Wed Nov 30 10:20:35 CET 2005

Peter Lund writes:
 > I think it is a bug! There is no real reason why this tiny function
 > should be causing crashes even if the caller asks for a valid time and
 > date, any year in the past, for instance the birth of planet earth year
 > some -6 billion or something...

I don't think anyone is disputing that inets crashing is a bug. There
are varying opinions over how important it is and who should fix it.
I'm not sure the "squeaky hinge" approach is the best.

Making universaltime_to_localtime work for all possible dates in the
past and future is nontrivial. Take a look at

  http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm
  http://www.tondering.dk/claus/cal/calendar27.txt

Matthias