linux Erlang/OTP status (gumstix)

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Sat Nov 12 16:32:56 CET 2005

* Pascal Brisset <pascal.brisset@REDACTED> [2005-11-06 01:55:52 +0100]:

>   System                      Laptop      Gumstix
>   CPU                        Pentium M     PXA255
>   Freq                        900 MHz     200 MHz
>   Bogomips                     1765         200
>   Cache                      1024 KiB    32+32 KiB
>   Mem                         256 MiB      64 MiB
>   Kernel                      2.6.3        2.6.10
>   OTP                         R10B-7       R10B-8
>   ackerman(3,11)               13 s        412 s
>   cheap-concurrency(3000)     0.6 s         26 s
>
> That's pretty good if you also take the size, weight, power
> consumption and price into account.  Maybe someone can provide
> figures for a similar x86 embedded SBC or a Blackdog.

Here are some figure for the Blackdog:

  System                      Laptop       Blackdog
  CPU                        Pentium M     PowerPC 400 (Virtex-II Pro)
  Freq                        1.73 Ghz      384 Mhz
  Bogomips                     1598         380
  Cache                       2048 KB        ?
  Mem                          1Go          64Mo
  Kernel                       2.6.13      2.6.10
  OTP                          R10B-6      R10B-8
  ackerman(3,11)               8s            89s

I do not know what your cheap-concurrency test is doing, but if you send
it to me I can launch it for a comparison. I have been doing some
concurrency test and manage to create 10000 thousands process in 173
microseconds and message passing took in average 15 microseconds.

Cheers,

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/