Fwd: Undocumented {packet,http} and gen_tcp:recv/3 timeout

Eric Merritt cyberlync@REDACTED
Tue Nov 1 21:01:19 CET 2005

Just for future reference, Pete pointed out the race condition in
iserve_socket:init. It's an easy fix and pretty noticeable once you
think about it.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pete Kazmier <pete-expires-20051230@REDACTED>
Date: Oct 31, 2005 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: Undocumented {packet,http} and gen_tcp:recv/3 timeout
To: Eric Merritt <cyberlync@REDACTED>

Hi there,

I recently went through that same tutorial and found the bug that the
author hinted at in his recent post to the mailing list.  In the event
that you have not already found it, there is a race condition within
iserve_socket:init in between the gen_tcp:accept and inet:setsockopts
call.  Its possible that part of the HTTP request arrives before the
socket is placed it {packet, http} mode, and since the socket is in
active mode, a message would be delivered to the current process which
does nothing with it.  In this case, inet:setsockopts needs to be
called on the listening socket so the accepted socket will be in
{packet, http} right from the start.

As an erlang newbie, I still have not been able to get his example to
run yet as I can't figure out appropriate directory layout for the
application.  If you have this working, would you mind sending me a
tarball of the directory?  It would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Pete