Coping with records?

Tim Bates tim@REDACTED
Tue Nov 1 12:38:07 CET 2005

Hi folks,
I'm getting into the nitty-gritty of my first largeish Erlang system,
and I have a few questions about how to structure things going forward,
particularly as my system expands to include multiple nodes and live
code changes.

Records seem fine for local or short-lived structures such as process
state, but for potentially long-lived pieces of data in a long-running
system that may see many code changes, they cause problems if you
redefine them and then get an old one out of a database or somewhere
else. Since Joe's "structs" idea seems to have died in 2003, what are
people doing in their systems to address these problems?

The only idea I have is to do all my operations on record-like data
structures through a function call interface, and embed a version number
in the record so that the functions know exactly which data structure
they are using. This seems a bit unwieldy though. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim.

--
Tim Bates