MS Windows build use of versions in directory names/paths

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Tue Mar 29 09:36:43 CEST 2005

Well, that was a long question...

Erlang comes from the Unix world, and is built for handling hot code
upgrades, so if you are a commercial customer and installs an OTP
patch, the patched application is installed in a subdirectory
with a new version number. The old version is kept in case you
would want to back out the patch later on.

That is the main reason for the version numbers on the directories.
The patch script is the same for Windows and Unix, and I guess it
is not even aware of the platform.

Large parts of OTP (at least the code server) also depends on this
directory structure. And rewriting all code would cost too much.

But, as a side note. In our internal development environment
we have a directory tree without version numbers. Version handling
is done in ClearCase. So, probably, if you would take a Windows
(or Unix) installation and strip all version suffixes from
the Erlang installation tree, and rebuild the start scripts
(the start script compiler takes an undocumented flag to
build without version numbers) - it would work. _But_ OTP
patch handling would _not_ work, and that is why the
installation tree does not look that way.

This is an area where Windows and Unix security approaches
still clashes head on. E.g ZoneAlarm on windows checking which
installed program that tries to get out - that is not really
what a firewall is supposed to do. In the Unix world a firewall
is a separate box, and it checks which user and which machine
that tries to get out and knows nothing of program installation
pathes. The ZoneAlarm check is really a Worm check.

Why ejabberd uses the registry is another question. Erlang/OTP
and many others has moved away from using the registry. I think
the Erlang/OTP installer fixes the path, so if ejabberd used the
Erlang that was in the path, there would be no problem (guessing
here...)