Guards and side effects

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Fri Mar 11 11:08:48 CET 2005

I completely disagree.  (-:

I would like to see a way to declare new guard expressions,
but think those guard expressions should be declarative and
fall strictly within the realm of pattern matching.

I think it is perfectly reasonable and sound to clearly
differentiate between functions that modify data (and perhaps
produce side-effects) and expressions that test the validity
of data in a side-effect free manner.

The purpose of user-defined guards should be to allow for
more expressive (and/or more intuitive) match expressions,
not to introduce new semantics.

/Uffe