An "is_string" BIF?

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Thu Mar 10 10:37:37 CET 2005

It's not an ugly wart - it's deliberate.

Guards are merely extensions of pattern matching - they must be side effect free
and capably of efficient compilation.

If you allowed user defined guards people would soon write things like this:

guard(a, P) -> P ! foo, false;
guard(b, _) -> true.

and use them

foo(X, Y) when guard(X, Y) ->
foo(X, Y) ->

evaluating foo(a, P) would cause code in the second clause to trigger,
but a side effect started in the first clause would also happen.

The only way of forbidding this is either to delay any side effects in
the user clause (ie delay Pid ! foo until the value of the guard
is true) or restrict guards to side-effect free code.

Guard tests are also inlined in the pattern matching algorithms
in what should be an optimal manner.

/Joe

 -- Thomas