Parse transformery (Was: Re: Calling internal functions - foo::bar() ?)

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Tue Mar 8 12:58:21 CET 2005

Kostis Sagonas wrote:
> Mats Cronqvist wrote:
>
>  > > We agree that export_all is bad. What we disagree on is the relative
>  > > importance of troubleshooting tools vs. compiler optimization. This is
>  > > hardly surprising since one of us is troubleshooting running systems
>  > > all day and the other is developing compiler optimizations. :-)
>  >
>  > i was just going to comment to Kostis that for the AXD301, the choice between
>  > a 5% compiler optimization and 5% better turnaround time on bug fixes is a
>  > no-brainer (in favor of better debugging).
>
> What my mail tried to express (and apparently it failed) was that for
> a Programming Language Implementation the choice of satisfying the
> occasional convenience of *some* users (no matter how important they
> are) vs. adding a construct that effectively prohibits optimization
> and thus penalizing *all* its user community should also be a no-brainer.

   i don't feel you failed in expressing yourself in the previous post. i just
don't agree, or rather, i think you're over-simplifying. if you excuse me
paraphrasing;
   here you have a choice between satisfying *some* users (the ones that need to
integrate and debug, possibly live, systems w/o access to the source code), vs.
penalizing *some* users (the ones that need a potential moderate performance
increase).
   as for the AXD301, we of course want both :>. however, to us increased
reliability is more important than increased speed.

   mats