starting my release fails

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Jun 22 18:14:21 CEST 2005

Looking into the crash dump at the list of loaded modules,
you find:

=mod:otp_ring0
Current size: 533
=mod:init
Current size: 32094
=mod:prim_inet
Current size: 35232
=mod:prim_file
Current size: 25724
=mod:erl_prim_loader
Current size: 21817
=mod:erlang

The most common mistake in boot scripts, IME, is to start
a script build with an older OTP, and fail to load the
modules. If you run your system in embedded mode, then
all modules will be loaded at boot time, and all paths
must be correct.

In normal, on-demand, mode, only the most basic modules
will be loaded, and then the ones called upon during boot.

In your case, only the preloaded modules have been loaded.
In an example script:

{script,{"OTP  APN 181 01","R10B"},
        [{preLoaded,[erlang,
                     erl_prim_loader,
                     prim_file,
                     prim_inet,
                     init,
                     otp_ring0]},
         {progress,preloaded},
         {path,["$ROOT/lib/kernel-2.10/ebin","$ROOT/lib/stdlib-1.13/ebin"]},

In the .rel file, you find a nice overview of the
different application versions. Also the start_erl.data
might be worth looking into for the erts version
(although that doesn't seem to be the problem this time.)

My guess is that the path to the kernel application
was wrong, and that this triggered the error.

Given that this mistake is so easy to make, perhaps
there should be a warning or more descriptive error message?

/Uffe