Getting concurrency

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jun 16 12:14:23 CEST 2005

--- Claes Wikstrom <klacke@REDACTED> wrote:

> As for speed, I remember that I worked a lot with
> various ways
> to let lookup() return a pointer instead of copying
> the whole thing.
> I couldn't ever get it to work well though.

This would be a nice, possibly very nice, feature when
you have a shared heap system, but last I asked, it
wasn't done. (Hint hint, Uppsala :-)

Without a shared heap, pointers out of the private
heap would have to be detected and managed by the GC.
Hipe once upon a time shared constant terms outside
the normal heap, and possibly still does. If so, that
could be another path to getting rid of ets copying
(at least the copy out of the table).

Best,
Thomas