Getting locks and sharing: was RE: Getting concurrency

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue Jun 14 23:13:24 CEST 2005

Den 2005-06-14 20:13:14 skrev Thomas Lindgren <thomasl_erlang@REDACTED>:

> And don't forget other aspects such as efficiency,
> scalability, reusability, maintainability, ... E.g.,
> "Does this highly optimized design I inherited
> actually work? What if I also have to implement these
> new requirements?" etc.

I think one approach to seriously consider is to
forget about making code "highly optimized", when
we're talking about grid computers and multi-core
architectures. Focus on writing conservative code
and choosing safe concurrency patterns. When it
comes to concurrency, optimization is truly the
root of all evil. Use all those CPUs to buy
yourselves the luxury to write safe code for a change,
rather than cutting corners.  ;-)

/Uffe