snmp traps

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Wed Jun 8 22:25:02 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am somewhat struggling with the documentation of SNMP traps.  Can
someone explain to me the meaning of some parameters in the SNMP's
config files?

notify.conf
{NotifyName, Tag, Type}.

- What is Tag used for?

target_addr.conf
{TargetName,Ip,Udp,Timeout,RetryCount,TagList,ParamsName,EngineId,
   TMask, MaxMessageSize}.

- What are TagList and TMask?

Also, the os_mon application supports OTP-OS-MON-MIB mib.  Can it
automatically send traps described in the mib when corresponding alarms
are set, or is it a responsibility of a programmer to write and install
an alarm handler and convert alarm events into appropriate traps?

In order to test an ability to send traps, I verified that I could do so
by running:

~~>snmptrap -c public -v2c 169.132.9.113 uptime loadSystemMemoryHighAlarm

However after configuring and starting the SNMP agent, this doesn't seem
to deliver traps to the manager at 169.132.9.113:

10> snmp_notification_mib:add_notify("test", "sample test", trap).

{ok,"test"}
11> snmp_target_mib:add_addr("test", [169,132,9,113], 162, 5000, 3,
"sample test", "", "", "", 2048).
{ok,"test"}
12> snmp:send_notification(snmp_master_agent, loadSystemMemoryHighAlarm,
no_receiver, "test", []).
{send_trap,loadSystemMemoryHighAlarm,"test",[],no_receiver,[]}

Thanks.

Serge