R10B3 crashes after >1014 tcp connections + Yaws

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED
Wed Jun 8 15:47:28 CEST 2005

joel reymont wrote:
> The crash is AFTER I increased the number of FDs per process/user to
> over 10000 with ulimit -n.

You need to increase the system limit (e.g. on Linux,
"echo 10000 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max" as root, which lasts until the
next reboot) as well as the shell limit.

> I am fine with starting several nodes but
> the 1024 sockets per node limit seems to be somewhat low. In either
> case I think Erlang should have complained and not crashed on me.

I agree. Ideally it would print a message saying that the system and/or
shell fd limits are the problem, with the URL of a web page on how to
fix it.

--
David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED>