epoll support?

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Thu Jun 2 22:15:38 CEST 2005

2 jun 2005 kl. 18.28 skrev Sean Hinde:

> Hi,
>
> Various people have asked, but no-one has answered yet - are there
> any plans to include support for the epoll mechanism of Linux 2.6?
>
> There is kpoll support in erlang, but kpoll is not in Linux 2.6.

Since epoll was introduced into kernel 2.6 there is no need to port
kpoll any more. The reason to build
kpoll was to implement level triggered poll instead of edge triggered
poll (note e for edge).
Level triggered poll is more like the regular poll and easier to use.

The idea was to patch epoll and add level triggered poll, but the
author of epoll refused! Why He later
changed his mind and let the kernel 2.6 include both modes (level
triggered poll is even the default)
I can not even imagine. In the kernel 2.6 you can actually select the
behaviour on file descriptor basis.

Read more about the api here.

http://www.annodex.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?4+epoll

  suggest to add configure test for epoll with level triggered
support (i.e kernel 2.6)

/Tony