set TCP PUSH option on socket?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Thu Jan 27 15:56:25 CET 2005

Gaspar Chilingarov writes:

 > there is PUSH option in tcp which forces OS write packet to network as
 > fast as possible after user called write function -- this is not the
 > same as TCP_NODELAY -- which ... well , this is a quote from RFC :)

Do you have some C code which demonstrates your TCP_PUSH option? Which
operating system(s) does it compile on?

(You quoted some text which appears in RFC793. But RFC793 specifies a
protocol, it doesn't specify the names of the options and functions in
the C library. There's some historical flotsam and jetsam floating
about with BSD/TRU64/Linux/RFC793 using different names for closely
related things---TCP_CORK, TCP_UNCORK, TCP_NODELAY, TCP_PUSH and TCP_NOPUSH.

Linux, for instance, doesn't have a TCP_PUSH option in the C interface
to sockets. But I can't see anything that you can accomplish with
TCP_PUSH which you can't accomplish with TCP_NODELAY, possibly in
combination with TCP_CORK.)

Matthias