soft-upgrade vs failover and back to/from 2nd-ary system

Reto Kramer kramer@REDACTED
Wed Jan 26 07:19:30 CET 2005

> A1) When you only have one node
>
> A2) When the state is long lived and difficult, or impossible, to
>     transfer from one node to another.
>
> HTTP is pretty much the opposite of A2. In many telco applications, A2
> describes the situation perfectly.

Matthias, can you give me an additional clarification w.r.t. to the
telco domain. (A2) implies that if the system that owns the state
crashes, the state is gone. I assume the telco applications you're
referring to use a definition of availability that does not count such
crashes as dropped calls?  I.e. are there telco applications in which
one can loose the call signaling state and as long as the voice trunk
remains up the call continues and is not counted as a drop?  I.e. as
long as one is able to setup new calls (on a fresh backup system that
needed none of the lost state transfered at all) life is good (modulo
the lost opportunity to charge for a call)?