Supervisor hierarchy question

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Jan 19 09:50:32 CET 2005

> BTW: I've been asked the other day why did I choose a Disney
> (a.k.a. Mickey Mouse) Database for implementation of some
> serious data volumes. They said, Even Ericsson is not using
> MNESIA... not that we have any problems, but...

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'serious data volumes'.
The biggest mnesia database that I have is roughly 1 GB of
data in about 6 million objects. It works like a charm.
Traditionally, this wouldn't qualify as 'serious data volumes',
but I think it's a bit more than most people think
Mnesia is capable of handling.

That Ericsson wouldn't be using Mnesia is rubbish! We use it
extensively in our Erlang-based applications, and these
apps have very high reliability requirements.

However, if you refer to e.g. large provisioning databases,
then no, we don't use Mnesia for those applications. There
are many reasons for this, but that Mnesia would not be good
enough is not really one of the main reasons. Having
said that, though, I think making Mnesia a serious contender
in that niche would require a tremendous amount of work,
mainly as regards feature set, support tools, etc, as well
as incorporating another disk-based backend, like Berkeley
DB. It might also involve introducing a lot of compromises
that would make Mnesia a less attractive realtime DBMS.

> How does one fight such (IMHO) unjustified argument(s)? Can
> anybody tell me of any comercial application of MNESIA.

In general, I think just about all commercial Erlang-based
products use Mnesia one way or another. The Synapse Automatic
Device Configuration tool uses Mnesia with a Berkeley DB backend,
if I'm not mistaken, and handles quite large data volumes.

I think part of this discussion should be the aspect of support.
If you have a commercial product with high reliability
requirements, you would want premium support from whatever
database vendor you choose. Erlang/OTP offers premium support,
but I can't tell you whether they are willing to do it for
the type of application you're intending (because (1) I don't
work at OTP, and (2) I don't know what the app is.) If they
are willing to support you, you have little to fear. If your
application differs too much from what Mnesia was designed for,
OTP will probably not offer any guarantees. That's not to say
it wouldn't work; just that it would be unsupported, just as
if you would download mysql from the net, build it from source
and use it in your application. It probably works very well,
but if it doesn't, you're on your own.

For many of the applications dealing with vasts amounts of
important data, the support factor is key to which DBMS they
choose. That, and the licensing model (esp. if it's subscriber
data.)

/Uffe