Supervisor hierarchy question

Eric Merritt cyberlync@REDACTED
Sat Jan 15 05:09:46 CET 2005

Guys,

 I am finishing up an implementation of a client for postgresql.
Overall was pretty simple, the protocol is well documented and Erlang
is geared for this stuff. However, I do have a couple of questions
about my supervisor hierarchy.

 Here is how things are set up.

A Supervisor that watchs the top level system process.

The system process implements gen_server and accepts requests for new
connection_pools and requests for the Pid of an existing connection
pool. When the system process launches a new pool it uses the
start_child function for its parent supervisor.  So the hierarchy
looks like

         Supervisor
       /            |         \
      System   CP1   CP2

The thing I don't like about this is that when the system process gets
a request for a pid it calls which_system on its supervisor and
scrolls through the list to find the connection_pool by name. This
kind of parent pointer 'smells' bad.

 Now when the connection_pool gets a request for a connection it needs
return the PID of an active connection.  If non are available it needs
to return an error or start a new one depending on its setup.

 This is my question. When the connection_pools starts up its initial
set of connections where should it put them, under another supervisor?
If so what should supervise the supervisor? Should it look like this?

         Supervisor
      System   CP1   CP2    CP1-Conn-Sup   CP2-Conn-Sup

Or should it just create a supervisor without an explicit parent supervisor.

I hope this is intelligible to you all. Any suggestions are appreciated.

--
I'm a programmer, I don't have to spell correctly; I just have to
spell consistently