Getting Started: tut.erl : exiting with an error?!?

Daniel Ginsburg dginsburg@REDACTED
Fri Jan 14 10:21:57 CET 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:48:13 -0800, Charles Hixson
<charleshixsn@REDACTED> wrote:
> Please help.  Something's quite wrong.  Here's the program:
> -module(tut).
> -export([double/1]).
>
> double(X) ->
>    2 * X.
>
> And here's the result of running it:
> :~/projects/erlang$ erl
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3.6.3 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]
>
> Eshell V5.3.6.3  (abort with ^G)
> 1> c(tut).
> ** exited: {undef,[{compile,file,[tut,[report_errors,report_warnings]]},
>                   {c,c,2},
>                   {erl_eval,do_apply,5},
>                   {shell,eval_loop,2}]} **
> 2>
>
> I'm so much of a beginner that I can't guess what is happening...but I
> think it's my system rather than the program.  I have erlang installed
> from the Debian archives... so that should be a pretty good version.
> Still, I can't think of how to fix things.
>
> P.S.:  Missing from the getting started tutorial is how to properly quit
> the shell.  (I eventually found that the answer was halt(). , but it
> wasn't something I was able to guess.)

Let me guess. You are using Debian testing (or unstable) and you have
erlang-doc-html installed, right?

The problem is that in current Debian testing distribution
erlang-doc-html is R10B-1 but erlang itself is R9C-2. This causes
version conflict. Uninstall erlang-doc-html and you'll be fine.  For
more information see Debian bug IDs #279122 and #279122.

--
dg