A Pythonista's Impressions of Erlang

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Fri Jan 14 00:25:17 CET 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 03:12:01 -0800 (PST)
Thomas Lindgren <thomasl_erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

[...]
> The example languages all seem to have anonymous cvs
> and so on, which Erlang does not. But that's how we do
> it, at this point.
>
> There is, possibly, more involvement and contributions
> to the language, distribution, libraries,
> documentation and website from "outsiders" for
> python/ruby/perl than Erlang. That's not so strange,
> given Erlang's roots and constraints, but perhaps that
> too could be improved as a "resource"? (It's one of
> the benefits of open source, after all.)

Well, perhaps this is too obvious to mention, but the most logical way
for Erlang to leverage the "resources" of "outsiders", i.e. engage the
community, would be to open up development as well as source.  For
example, make the source repository public (as you note,) make the
bugtracker public, make the docs open-source, etc.

-Chris