speed...

Isaac Gouy igouy2@REDACTED
Wed Jan 12 01:35:37 CET 2005

> > I was happy to see that the newest round of "benchmarks" includes a
> > new test where erlang starts to shine
> > http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=message&l
> > ang=all&sort=cpu
> > Although they will probably not ramp the test up to where erlang is

> > strongest since most other languages will start to fail at less
> > than 5000 threads.
>
> The interesting thing is to start measuring at the point where things
> start to fail and observe if the failure is catastrophic or not -
> Ramping the number of processes up to higher than the maximum allowed
> number of OS processes will sort out the sheep from the goats.

Yes, it is interesting, although imo we can get folk to actually look
at the measurements and see that a language they've never heard of
performs well, by providing a comparison with some languages they know.

(Assuming they would quickly ignore the comparison if their "big name"
language simply failed - and assuming there's a slight possibility they
might be curious about measured poor performance of their "big name"
language.)

> Just a general comment of benchmarks - the benchmarks measure two
> non-functional properties of a program (speed, and memory usage) but
> there many more non-functional properties which a virtually
impossible
> to benchmark.

And of course, the shootout programs are toy benchmarks
   http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/sandbox/index.php?sort=cpu

Any suggestions for small, Erlang friendly, benchmark programs?