Upcoming article in Dr. Dobbs'

Dominic Williams erlang-list@REDACTED
Mon Jan 10 14:13:01 CET 2005

Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

> Yes, but when the "others" will realize what's needed, what stops them to
> incorporate the Erlang model into (for example) Java or C#, or even C++? Given
> that technical wars are won with massive marketing and not necessarily by being
> best, the result is not given...

Even so, they are unlikey to /remove/ the existing
thread model. So those systems will continue to be
plagued with bugs.

> I think there's a problem with using a niched language: it's difficult to find
> developers.

Although managers frequently use this argument, I
believe it is a fallacy. I have seen enough problems
developing in C++ with very experienced people to
prefer using a language which is safe to use after a
couple of weeks training.

> On the other hand, instead of changing Java (language and VM) to fit the Erlang
> model, maybe it's easier to compile Java-like syntax to beam. After all, syntax
> is just, well, syntax.

The problem with Java and C++ is not just the syntax,
it's conceptual, it's the concurrency model.

Regards,

Dominic Williams
http://www.dominicwilliams.net

----