Upcoming article in Dr. Dobbs'

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Mon Jan 10 10:47:42 CET 2005

  Yes Erlang *is* the answer - but what's the problem?

  How are we going to make use of truly parallel CPU cores?

  When Intel makes  4 (6 8 10 ...) processors on a chip will we
get speed ups of 4 (6 8 10...)?

  Chip makers can go two ways: 1) make more fancy CPU's or 2) blow multiple
CPUs onto the same chip. The 1) alternative is unlikely since the designs are already horrendously complex - 2) is a much better alternative.

  Also, you have to get data in and out of a chip, I/O occurs at the edges of a chip
but processing in the middle - so CPU power grows quadratically, and I/O only linearly.
Thus the best architecture, is a chip with I/O processors on the edges and multi CPUs in the middle (the cluster on a chip).

  These chips are one the way - should be here by 2006/7

  <prediction>

 - It will be a nightmare porting threads based S/W onto true
multi-CPUs - true concurrency (in the CPUs) will uncover loads of new errors that do
not occur using pseudo-concurrency - the only way to program these boxes will be
with concurrency based on pure (copying) message passing.

  Concurrency models based on sharing will totally screw up -

  </prediction>

  Erlang is the only language I know of that is well placed to program multiCPUs
all other approaches use some form sharing and or locking (which as I have said many
times before - is the root of all evil)

  /Joe