gen_tcp:send timeout continued: tcp_ip_abort_interval

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Mon Feb 14 17:17:29 CET 2005

Mickael Remond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Regarding the discussion on gen_tcp:send that could block forever in
> some case:
> http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200402/msg00259.html
>
> I found some TCP/IP options that seems to address the problem on
> Solaris: tcp_ip_abort_interval.
>
> On other implementations, this feature is said to be not tunable but
> might exist.
> Do you know if this abort feature for TCP/IP retransmission exist in
> other OS (Linux, Windows, BSD) ?
> Could the abort be handled by gen_tcp:send in Erlang ?

Hello again

Do you know what is the current status of the {send_timeout, N} socket
option in gen_tcp ?

In this mail, some problems were reported when using this option:
http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200302/msg00157.html

Does someone know if this is a good option to avoid hanged process
during send if the connexion is silently broken with the client or
server ? Is there still side effects ?

Thank you !

--
Mickaël Rémond