Concatenating atoms

Valentin Micic valentin@REDACTED
Fri Feb 4 22:06:32 CET 2005

> If you don't care (short-running program, or willing
> to reboot every now and then, or node restarted often
> enough for it not to practically matter, or whatever)
> or know/guarantee/require that you have a bounded
> "working set" of atoms over the lifetime of the node,
> then yes: that is enough. Otherwise, no.

We had an application that run for more than a year without reboot. Once we
had a power failure, hence had to restart. It was a mission to start-up the
system. As usual, documentation was minimalistic, nobody knew what was going
on, left hand did not know what the right was doing... We did learn from it.
It is good practise to restart any system, no matter how stable it might be.
Keeps your operations guys happy ;-). The trick is not to lose any traffic
over it.

Nice chatting to you.

V.