Concatenating atoms

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Wed Feb 2 11:39:56 CET 2005

   Yes, and I would very much like to write "clean and fast Erlang applications"
that create very large numbers of atoms - the fastest algorithms
involve creating very large numers of atoms - but this is a no-no
so I use strings where efficient algorithm would have used atoms.

  Certain design decisions within the emulator force me to write code
in a less-than-optimal way - now it's fine by me to evil things in the
emulator to manke things run fast - but not when the evil things force
me to program in an artificial and inefficeint way as is the case with atoms.

   /Joe