scala (was RE: checksum for distributed debugging?)

ke.han ke.han@REDACTED
Mon Dec 5 19:24:05 CET 2005

I studied scala quite a bit last year.  I was trying to decide which
language to build my next set of software.  Erlang won out in the end.
However, I took a strong liking to scala.  I think the language design
and syntax is fantastic.  I found nothing came close in terms of being
able to express objects and functions without clutter.  I simply cannot
praise the cleanliness of scala enough.
   The drawbacks for me were:
	1 - implementation on .net and Java VMs gives you process/threading
oriented limitations of those VMs.
	2 - few libraries/frameworks that take advantage of the scala.  Just
wrappering Java libraries will bleed through to your program design.  My
main reason for going through a thorough language review before starting
my new projects was I was really tired of Java and the like.

Mostly for these two reasons, I decided I couldn't use scala and went
with erlang.  Note: this is not a knock against erlang...I haven't
looked back since making this choice and am quite happy.

So the grand questions is: Can we make scala run on erlang instead of
Java?  This might be a dream come true!!

thanks, ke han