application startup

Nicolas Niclausse nicolas@REDACTED
Mon Aug 22 16:15:05 CEST 2005

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ecrivait le 22.08.2005 15:29:
> Serge Aleynikov wrote:
>
>>Over the weekend, I briefly tried to experiment with the
>>builder app by taking your 'dist' application from the
>>"How-to" section of trapexit.org, and trying to creage
>>a distibution package.  I had very little luck on getting
>>a clean built.
>

> I have never tried that (as was perhaps evident from the result.)
>

> [snipped embarrassing crash reports]
>

>>At this point I gave up because I had to take my daugter to a
>>swimming pool.
>>
>>My humble suggestion would be that instead of replying to my
>>email you would expand the help (or write a small tutorial)
>>on how to make use of the 'builder' tool.
>

> I will reply only to acknowledge that I've noted your
> complaint, and also note that this is the first concrete
> feedback I can remember since posting it on Jungerl two
> years ago -- thank you! (: The fact that builder.erl hasn't
> been updated in two years is not so much a testimony to the
> quality of its code as it is an indication that noone,
> including me, has used it enough to bother.

FYI, i've been using builder.erl for 1,5 year for IDX-Tsunami (i was
tired of manual version number updatesin .rel files, that's why i tried it).

It's a bit awkward to make it work with applications not installed in
the same location as erlang (or maybe I miss something), but it works.

If your interested, you can take a look at the build process of tsunami
(i know, the makefile is a bit ugly)

http://cvs.idealx.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/tsunami/Makefile.in?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Anyway, a tutorial would be great, indeed :)

--
Nicolas