Towards a native windows GUI

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Wed Aug 17 16:08:19 CEST 2005

Hi Serge,

To answer your comments:

To start with I get the same feeling looking at the windows API as I got when looking
at XLib and the X11 protocol - on the surface the XLib programming model and the
windows model look very complicated - but deep down they get much simpler.

A GUI is best modelled as lots of small parallel processes where each control
(button, toggle, entry, ...) is a parallel process. To get it to do something
you sent it a message (PostMessage) to query it (example, reading an entry) you send it a message and wait for the reply (SendMessage).

Now Erlang is very good at managing lots of small processes, where each process
does very little (that's what it was designed to do).

Programming a GUI as a collection of parallel processes is very easy. But programming
a GUI as a single sequential process is very difficult.

That's the reason for XLib, Motif and Win32 MFC etc. To make this difficult process
easier.

The Delphi statement

> Button.Caption := 'OK';

Probably just boils down to a few PostMessages calls.

I also see no reason why this should not be handled by the Erlang emulator.

As I see things

	- writing new BIFs is easy, but
	- writing port programs is messy

So to include foreign language code we should think in terms of running several
Erlang nodes on the same machine. One node (the safe) node should be "unpatched"
the other nodes can have user-added BIFs (these are unsafe). The safe node can then request operations in the unsafe nodes with distributed Erlang RPCs.

As for Vlad's concern about the efficiency of dispatching all messages in the
Erlang top-loop, this might be a problem, until an experiment is performed
I don't know.

In the X11 case handling all X11 protocol messages in Erlang was not markedly slower than in C - often faster.

My view is that if what's at the bottom is simple (ie GUIs work by sending messages
to controls) and Erlang is designed for just that, then removing all the middleware
might be the way to go.

<< aside - It's not that I dislike GTK+, Pango, gnome canvas, SDL, Cairo, Motif
   whatever, but getting these things to work together is a pain. I actually want to
   use these libraries and not fight with them. Most often building them at all is
   painfully difficult. >>

/Joe