Replacing the werl.exe GUI, take 2

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Tue Aug 16 22:49:07 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Hague" <james.hague@REDACTED>
> Logically, this should be easy:  write my own application that starts
> up werl.exe in the background, with the GUI disabled, communicating
> via pipes.  Standard UNIX-fare.  Except if it were really this easy to
> do under Windows, I'd expect the Erlang team would have already done
> this.  So what's the catch?

I wrote an application like this, for some years ago. From what I remember,
there was a small but noticeable delay when communicating with the Erlang
process. Pipes in Windows are a little sluggish (or were, don't know about
XP or similar).

With todays faster machines, there's probably no catch. Possibly still
slower than communicating with beam.dll directly, but my guess is that it
would be good enough.

I didn't go on with it because I seldom use werl anyway, so other projects
felt more important.

best regards,
Vlad