[Erlide-devel] Module Wizard

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Mon Aug 15 11:11:56 CEST 2005

Hej!

No, I don't have any links to JDT documentation, but it's all in the
jdt.core plugin. There are interfaces like IJavaElement and its descendants
there, and the implementations in jdt.core.internal.

In the beginning, I have copied most of the stuff to the core.erlang
package, and renamed anything called "*Java*" to "*Erlang*" or "*Erl*",
because I thought it would be a nice way to use all the experience they
have. There are many things one would like to have from there (like
WorkingCopies), but it becomes very difficult to understand why and how, and
also since most of that is internal, updates and bug fixes aren't for
free... Also, I think it's better to have something we understand even if
it's a more naive implementation.

The problem I see is that the Java model has to keep track of much more
things (classpaths, for example) that aren't as relevant for Erlang, because
modules can be built independently. Of course, with the addition of more
sofisticated tools (like integrating xref), keeping track of the code path
and any changes made to it becomes important.

What I'd like to have is a simple model that we can get running for the
simpler functionality, but that can be extended without much hassle.

Another important issue is to decide where to put the interfaces between the
Java side and the Erlang side. It would be nice if the Java side could be
just a UI, and the ground work would be implemented in Erlang. But some
things need be lightweight because they are called often and interactively
(like syntax highlighting), so the performance penalty may be too large.

Well, I hope this gives some things to think about.

regards,
Vlad