Three wishes

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Mon Aug 1 14:45:04 CEST 2005

Roger Price <rprice@REDACTED> writes:

> Wish 1: No scope extrusion

Too late to change.

> Wish 2: Block comments
>
> Some programming languages provide line comments, e.g. Erlang, TeX,
> Scheme, whereas others provide block comments, e.g. ML, Haskell, SGML.
> Both forms of comment have their uses, and I would like to be able to use
> block comments as well as line comments in an Erlang program.

I agree, I have also missed a block comment.

> Wish 3: ISO latin 9
>
> If you are using the ISO latin 1 character set and can see the Euro
> symbol, then you are not using ISO latin 1, but rather ISO latin 9 as
> defined by ISO/IEC 8859-15 [1].   For example, on my Dell laptop the
> following function call displays a Euro:
>
> 3> io:format ("~c~n", [$\244]) .
> ¤
> ok

I don't see what this has to do with Erlang. What is shown is up to the
operating system. Erlang does make some assumptions on what is visible
characters and what is control character, and the compiler does some
assumptions about upper and lower case letters. If Latin 1 and Latin 9
only matters in one character, it shouldn't be any concern for Erlang.

/Bjorn