Structuring unit tests

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Fri Apr 15 15:21:22 CEST 2005

--- Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> wrote:

> Thomas Lindgren gave the following advice:
>  >
>  > --- Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
>  > > exporting all the tested functions or placing a
>  > > -compile([export_all]) at the top of the module
> to be tested.
>  >
>  > You can also do that with a command line option:
>  >
>  > % erlc +export_all mymod.erl
>  >
>  > That means you can make it a flag in the
> makefile,
>  > which often is useful.
>
> Please do not follow these paths, and please do not
> give such "advice".

--- Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> wrote:

> Thomas Lindgren gave the following advice:
>  >
>  > --- Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
>  > > exporting all the tested functions or placing a
>  > > -compile([export_all]) at the top of the module
> to be tested.
>  >
>  > You can also do that with a command line option:
>  >
>  > % erlc +export_all mymod.erl
>  >
>  > That means you can make it a flag in the
> makefile,
>  > which often is useful.
>
> Please do not follow these paths, and please do not
> give such "advice".

On the contrary, I have found doing this very
convenient, not only for separating tests from the
rest of the code (which I tend to prefer) but also for
interactive testing and debugging. You can then get
rid of export_all lodged in the modules, and can, if
you so desire, subsequently eliminate its use entirely
by a makefile option.

So I have no qualms with such advice (no scare quotes
needed). I've used it for a couple of years, it has
worked well enough, I like it. In the end, it's up to
the reader to evaluate and decide, of course.

Best,
Thomas