Some claims about Erlang (was Re: Erlang use in Italy)

Corrado Santoro csanto@REDACTED
Mon Apr 11 17:08:09 CEST 2005

I would like to thank everyone posted a comment on Erlang vs. C/C++.
Such comments will be very useful in trying to convice my organization
on the opportunity to organize some lectures on Erlang.

Just for fun (but also for your information), I would like to let you
know some claims about Erlang said by many people (researchers, software
developers, professors) who don't know Erlang, but pretend to evaluate
it with respect to other approaches:

"Programming in Erlang requires much effort, since you must deal with
process calculi." (a reviewer of a paper of mine)

"Programming in Erlang seems easy, but the source code is quite
unreadable; maybe we could try to find a syntax that is less complex."

"Erlang? 'quick-and-dirty'. I dislike this kind of approaches! I prefer
Java."

"What are the performances of Erlang? It's bytecoded! It never reach the
performances of Java" (forgetting the performance problems Java had in
the past, and the *huge* amount of time required *now* by Eclipse to start!)

"Who is teaching Erlang? All students take the degree learning C, C++
and Java. This is what companies require" (a professor forgetting that
students should learn *how to program*, not *how to program with a
specific language*).

... only to cite a few.

Ciao,
--Corrado

Eng. Corrado Santoro, Ph.D.

University of Catania - Engineering Faculty
Department of Computer Science and
Telecommunications Engineering
Viale A. Doria, 6 - 95125 CATANIA (ITALY)

Tel: +39 095 7382144 Int. (5) 8035
      +39 095 7382380
      +39 095 7382365
      +39 095 7382364