Linking two Pids of nodes that are in the same machine - noconnection signal!

Inswitch Solutions - Erlang Evaluation erlang@REDACTED
Thu Sep 30 14:46:46 CEST 2004

The attached code links to pids of nodes that are in the same machine and I don't know why I receive a noconnection signal when the LAN cable is disconnected. This does no happen when running the code with the LAN cable disconnected and connecting/disconnecting it later.

If someone wants to give a try,  I send a code to test this situation and you should modify on node1.erl the blue text line below:
{node2Pid, node2@REDACTED} ! {self()},
with the corresponding machine name where you will run it.

On the same machine do the following:

1 - "erl -sname node2"
2 - "node2:start()."

2 - "erl -sname node1"
3 - "node1:start()."

4 - The pid is linked and a message is shown on node1.
5 - node2Pid shows a message every 1 sec while checking the queue message
6 - node1 process loops checking the queue message

7 - Disconnect LAN cable
8 - node2Pid receives a noconnection signal
9 - node1 process receives an {'EXIT',Pid,noconnection}

- When linking Pids of different nodes that are in the same machine why do I receive a "noconnection" signal?
- Having the LAN cable disconnected and doing steps 1..6 8..9, if I connect/disconnect the LAN cable the "noconnection" signal is never received (correct behaviour).
- If in the source code I do not use "process_flag(trap_exit, true),"  the processes terminate, why is this happenning as no kill signal is sent?

thanks in advance,
Eduardo Figoli
INSwitch Solutions