Behaving as a nice timebomber

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Thu Oct 28 14:20:44 CEST 2004

"Marc van Woerkom" <Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED> writes:

> Can someone give a few hints how we can use that box for nice yaws
> apps, but don't shoot ourselves in our feet?

Don't know. Let's start by shooting ourselves in the foot and just get
good at cleaning up afterwards. :-)

I do suggest using the Debian package system to install basic Unix
programs. This works very well and makes upgrading really easy.

> Should each user set up a different server?
> Or should we just put our stuff under public_html?
> Is there anything special to consider, if several folks use mnesia for
> storage?

We'll have to figure this out as we go :-). I'd suggest just doing
whatever crazy things you want to the existing Yaws installation, but
of course create a new one if you prefer.

Now we have some accounts so I've disabled root logins over SSH.
Anyone who wants an account can get one in one of two ways:

1. Add your SSH public key to a file in the Jungerl
     jungerl/lib/timebomb/erlang_authorized_keys

   This is automatically copied to ~erlang/.ssh/authorized_keys on
   timebomb, i.e. if your key is in that file then you can login as
   user 'erlang' without a password and then become root and make a
   real account for yourself. (See comments in the file.)

   NB: The file is sync'd every hour on the hour but gets grabbed via
   anonymous-CVS from Sourceforge. Sourceforge takes some extra time
   to make checkins visible to anoncvs (maybe even a day or so).

2. Ask someone who knows who you are to create an account for you.
   Those of us with accounts right now are:

     Luke Gorrie, Vlad Dumitrescu, guillaume, John Malecki, Tomas
     Abrahamsson, Francois-Denis Gonthier, Tim Lavoie, bparoli,
     mmcdanie, Anders Fluur, Marc van Woerkom, Vance Shipley, Reto
     Kramer, Stephen Thorne, Stephen Han, Andrae Muys.

Cheers,
Luke