erlguten

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Tue May 25 16:35:47 CEST 2004

On 24 May 2004, at 09:52, Mikael Karlsson wrote:

> If you look at some of the ErlGuten examples
> you can see that Joe is using a "galleys" concept.
> A template to define the layout, and another
> xml file containing the text to be laid out on the
> pages. I think this separation is good.
>
> Last time I discussed ErlGuten with Joe he mentioned
> he would like to do a major rewrite of the layout part.
> I beleive he has been a bit busy with other things
> (like doctors thesis, X11 support, UBF etc. :)
>
> I have also been resting a bit from ErlGuten, though I have
>  added JPEG image support and are working on the Fomrs
>  part of PDF.

This sounds quite interesting. I have been banging my head against the
XSL-FO route for a few months and it is getting quite sore !

One of the probs I seem to recall seeing last time I looked at Erlguten
was the difficulty in having text galleys run into more than one page.
Is this really a problem, and if it is has anyone thought about a good
design to move this forward?

> The pdml stuff looks interesting. The xml instructions for
> generating drawings etc.and since it seems much simpler
> than xsl-fo.

It also looks a bit too simple to do much with. fo is a pretty powerful
language all said and done.

Sean