Erlang distribution

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed May 19 21:09:41 CEST 2004

From: "Joe Armstrong" <joe@REDACTED>
> I'll try to be somewhat more precise about what I'm trying to do:
>    <...snip...>
>    - on *any* node I'd like to do things like
>
> Pid = spawn(xx@REDACTED, M, F, A)
> Pid ! Msg
>
>    - I'd like to use the Pids as first class references so I could
>      say send a Pid to a remote host and then on the remote host do Pid !
..
>      and the message would be delivered

The last part won't work with today's systems, even with the nice trick that
Mickaël unveiled. Of course pids can be sent to any other node, but they are
useless unless the source and destination share the same cookie. (I just
tried it)

It would be nice if for each pid that traverses "cookie boundaries" the
gatewaying node would automagically create a proxy process and send its pid
instead. The problem is that the pids could be embedded in an arbitrary
term...

regards,
Vlad