Erlang distribution

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed May 19 13:55:01 CEST 2004

From: "Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
> Regarding avoidance of global operations,
> you should take a look at global_group.

A good thing you pointed that out, I think it's one of the more obscure modules
:-)

As for Joe's original question, I was thinking about something like that myself
(I think I even posted a question here recently). I don't think anything
revolutionary can be done without hacking net_kernel and friends.

I suppose it would be possible to have a process that simulates a node,
registers with epmd and handles the distribution protocol. What I am not sure
how to handle would be pids and refs - the virtual node can't create own pids,
so some kind of hack is required. Maybe create a normal pid, export it to
external format, replace the node name and recreate it?

I am overwhelmed by the coolness factor of running Erlang inside Erlang! :-)

regards,
/Vlad