Postgres via odbc?

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Tue May 18 07:19:28 CEST 2004

Dustin Sallings <dustin@REDACTED> wrote:

> >I'm looking over their network protocol documentation and it doesn't
> >look horribly complicated.  Relatively easy to parse with bitsyntax
> >/me thinks.
>
> 	I was writing it in native erlang as a gen_event handler.  It wasn't
> that great of a fit.  If I didn't have so many other projects queued
> up, I'd start over.  :)

Heh, ain't that always the truth.  :-)

I'm looking at building a Postgres interface for a project where
mnesia just won't do what we really want ('cause for some dumb reason
we really want SQL *sigh*).  A native Erlang driver appeals to me
here because it would use less memory overall than forking out a
UNIX port driver process to host the postgres client.

If we go forward with this plan, I'd like to open source the driver,
but its not my project that the driver would be stuck into, and its
not my dime that would be developing it.  I'm gonna cross my fingers
and hope that pigs are flying the day I ask for both this Erlang
architecture AND to open source the Postgres driver we'd need to write.

I'd love to know why you say it wasn't a great fit in gen_event,
because the Postgres protocol documentation just screams "I need a
state machine!".

--
Shawn.