autoconf and erlang

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Wed May 12 17:09:26 CEST 2004

Hal Snyder <hal@REDACTED> writes:

> We are using autoconf to build all our Erlang apps these days.
> It helps with the following things:
>
> a. portability (we need to run on several platforms)
>
> b. selection of development vs. production environments when building
>
> c. integrates well with packaging system (pkgsrc) which helps config &
>    release management
>
> This sort of relates to EPAN idea and recent publicity thread, if a
> consistent build setup can be developed.

The Jungerl does this somewhat. There we have a top-level autoconf
that is shared by all applications and some Makefile includes that
take care of all the usual stuff. Anyone should feel free to extend
these.

I remember having troubles when we recently tried to build Jungerl on
Joe's machine, which is a pity, but I don't remember exactly what went
wrong. I'm trying to fix a couple of simple things just now, but,
really, Sourceforge is unusable these days.

By the way, I've been playing a little bit with these "next
generation" version control tools intended to replace CVS. I can
report that Darcs (http://abridgegame.org/darcs/) is worth a look.

-Luke