Is erlang too small?

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue May 11 08:32:11 CEST 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:03:32 +0200, Rudolph van Graan
<rvg@REDACTED> wrote:

> It goes like this... Recently, we've been working on a number of
> projects, two of which needed some XML and some needed http interaction
> (using http requests). In both cases, I've run into some bugs somewhere
> in Erlang which I just didn't want to trace, mostly because of a lack
> of time. I am not saying the http or xml contribs don't work - they
> did, but we ran into some issues the cause of which was difficult to
> understand, that we had to abandon the specific (erlang only) approach.
> For another difficult interface we needed to implement some SOAP rpc
> calls to a service, but again, there was no useful erlang code to help
> us with this.

Of course you are aware that all of the components above (xmerl - I guess,
http client, SOAP) are unsupported contributions?

This doesn't invalidate your point, though. These components are
immature, partly because they are not heavily used (or actively
maintained) by commercial Erlang users.

This is bound to change, as the requirements for the "traditional Erlang-
based products" also evolve. I don't see SOAP coming strong in the
telecoms world, but XML is certainly becoming more and more important.

I am still hopeful that other markets will begin to drive Erlang
development in a more significant way than today. This will surely
broaden the selection of commercial-grade components.

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger