user-defined operators

Martin J. Logan mlogan@REDACTED
Fri Mar 26 22:58:16 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 16:36, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> I'm seeing a certain amount of scaremongering in this thread.
>
> First, the thread is about user-defined operators, NOT about
> operator overloading.

They are part in parcel. ad-hoc polymorphism, overloading, user defined
operators are all the same in this context. If the language supports
polymorphic functions then it is reasonable to assume that the addition
of operators based on those very functions would support the same
polymorphic attributes.

> Whatever the merits and pitfalls of
> operating overloading, they are not relevant to the topic of
> user defined operators.
>
> Second, most functional languages have supported user defined
> operators for years.  ML has them.  Haskell has them.  Clean
> has them.  Prolog has them.  Mercury has them.

Many of these also include operator overloading(Haskell).

> *DO* you in fact get a welter of confusing operators?
>
> NO.

What about this?

It does not seem to me that
>     n `sm` primes
>     seconds `d` 60
>     fromInteger big `aTf` x
>     expr `catch` handler
> are particularly hard to read.

Which I agree is no worse than

sm(n, primes)
d(seconds, 60)

How about this?

    N `@#` Primes
    Seconds `@#` 60
    MoreSeconds `@#` (Seconds `@#` String `@#` String2)

I want my `operator` to be defined as such.

'@#'(A, B) when is_integer(A), is_list(B) -> ...
'@#'(A, B) when is_integer(A), is_integer(B) -> ...
'@#'(A, B) when is_list(A), is_list(B) -> ...

I am sure one could come up with some mangled syntax for restricting
this. We could also conjure up a way to define precedence by user
defined precedence number or some such. I am not trying to be polemic
here but it honestly scares me.

Martin